Everything you Need to Decorate Cookies with Royal Icing!
I have had a few people ask me how to decorate royal icing sugar cookies, sooo I thought I’d share.
You log into Instagram and see your friend post yet another one of her gorgeous creations! She whirlwinds together beautiful gowns. She gracefully crafts amazing, luxurious displays of event design and decor. If you’re ANYTHING like me, you’re always that person in complete awe– marveling yet wondering “Now how can I make those, too?!”
I have, over the years, tested various recipes and techniques to decorating cookies. I’ve practiced, practiced and practiced until I got better. Over time, I have gotten much faster and neater with my designs and now it’s no longer frustrating or a long drawn out process. It isn’t rushed, but it no longer feels arduous and tedious like it did before.
Moral of that story: practice DOES make perfect. And it DOES get better! Get your supplies and get baking and decorating, girl! You can do this! I am listing here in this blog post all of the essentials of baking and decorating cookies and where you should get them ONLINE!
1 Round Icing Tip (Numbers #00, #01, #02 especially)
Vodka (for painting!)
Cookie dough ingredients:
Real butter (NOT margarine)
All purpose flour
Real, pure vanilla extract
Royal Icing Ingredients:
6 oz. warm water
5 tablespoons Meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2.25 lbs Powdered sugar (Confectioner’s sugar)
- Cream butter and sugar in stand mixer on low speed (paddle attachment). Min until smooth (one minute). Scrape sides of bowl and mix again for a few seconds.
- Add eggs slowly and mix.
- Add in vanilla and stir a little!
- Sift together dry ingredients
- Add all of the flour mixture to the bowl and when it starts to clump together, it’s ready to roll out!
- Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Place in fridge for at least 1 hour
- Cut out shapes and bake in preheated oven (350°F) for 8-12 minutes.
- Let cookies cool before decorating!
Royal Icing Instructions:
- Add water and meringue powder to mixer bowl and whisk by hand for 30 seconds
- Add cream of tartar and whisk by hand for 30 seconds
- Add all of icing sugar to bowl and mix on low for 10 minutes using the paddle attachment.
- Add color with icing gels and cover with wet towel to prevent icing from drying out.